Looking Backward: Victor’s Furniture, 1981

by / Dec. 6, 2017 1am EST
The Victor & Company was downtown Buffalo’s largest furniture store, and at 10 stories and 186 feet in height, certainly its tallest. The department store, built in 1929 at the northeast corner of Pearl and West Genesee streets, was designed in a neoclassical style and clad in white terra cotta. The building was razed in 1981 to make way for a building addition and vehicular drop off for the Hyatt Regency Buffalo. The Hyatt urban renewal project, which also claimed the adjacent seven-story D. E. Morgan Building and the right-of-way of Genesee Street itself, continued a “demolish to greatness” approach to downtown revitalization that should have been well enough discredited by 1981.