by/ Jun. 27, 2018 10am EST
This is the downtown Buffalo of the urban renewal period—1967. At the forefront is the demolition of two blocks of the shopping core for what would become the Main Place Mall. The Erie County Savings Bank, on the lower right, still awaits its untimely execution. The 21-story One M&T Plaza is newly completed. To its right (south), three blocks between North Division and South Division streets await demolition by the New York State Department of Transportation for the Church Street Extension Mall. Beyond, virtually an neighborhood of the Ellicott District bounded by Michigan Avenue, Seneca Street, William Street, and Jefferson Avenue is mostly grass, having been razed starting in 1959.