by/ Apr. 18, 2018 7am EST
The Keystone Warehouse, 545 Swan Street, is an eight-story, 250,000-square-foot warehouse designed and built in 1917 by the John W. Cowper & Company. The warehouse is a classic “daylight factory,” built of steel-reinforced concrete with steel pivot sash windows and brick spandrel panels. Until 1975 it housed the regional operations of the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P), for decades the largest grocery chain in the United States. A&P began in 1859 as a mail order business in New York, and by 1925 operated more than 13,000 grocery stores nationally with more than 40,000 employees. The Swan Street warehouse is currently being rehabilitated for a mixed-use development.
Here’s the building in October 2016, courtesy of Google: