Looking Backward: New York Central Terminal
by/ Mar. 27, 2019 4pm EST
When the New York Central Terminal is raised as a topic in Buffalo, what usually comes to mind is the station on Paderewski Drive. Prior to 1929, the “Terminal” was actually located on Exchange Street near Michigan Avenue. Decades of indecision on where to locate a central station led finally to the New York Central Railroad constructing a new station on the East Side. Here, in about 1930, is the wreckage of the old station built in 1870 and abandoned in 1929. The station was demolished in 1935.
Photo courtesy of the Buffalo History Museum.