Looking Backward: Chief Petty Officers’ Club, circa 1930
The Buffalo Naval Militia Boat House, more commonly referred to as the Chief Petty Officers’ Club, is one of the overlooked landmarks of the Buffalo waterfront. Built in 1930 and designed in a Colonial Revival style by New York State Commissioner of Architecture William E. Haugaard, it is a rare maritime building representing the interwar period in the City of Buffalo. The Chief Petty Officers’ Club closed in about 2010, and since then has been rehabilitated by the NYS Division of Military and Naval Affairs, but has not yet reopened for any public use. It is now called the Captain Frank J. Bailey Boat House for Buffalo’s longest serving commanding officer (1924-1938), who was instrumental in the Porter Avenue building’s construction.
Here’s the building now, courtesy Google: