The George Urban Milling Company was synonymous with Buffalo’s milling industry. The company dated to 1846, when George Urban started in the flour-making business at Genesee and Oak streets. The George Urban Milling Company incorporated in 1903 for the purposes of erecting the first ever flour mill to utilize alternating current electric power, at Urban Street and the Belt Line. The plant, seen here in 1910, was originally built to make 1,000 barrels of Liberty Flour per day and had a storage capacity of 60,000 bushels. Each of the plant’s five stories was devoted to a particular stage of flour-making. The plant at 200 Urban Street, documented by the Historic American Engineering Record, no longer stands.